There’s nothing like that first few puffs after freshly priming a new vape’s coil. Untarnished from blending flavours from multiple e-liquid mixes, they deliver a fresh taste every time. But what if we told you that you could enjoy this experience every time without changing your coils and vape juices? With a little TLC and regular cleaning, you can prolong the life of each coil and renew your vaping experience. Read on to puff on a vape that performs better.
When you should clean your vape’s coils
Whether you're puffing casually or like to get stuck into long sessions, over time, your coil and vapes will become embedded with residue from your vape juice’s sweetening and carrier agents. While you can delay cleaning your coil by using vape juices of similar flavour notes to extract the full profile, it’s best to wash your coils and vape tank between blends.
How to wash your vape tank
Separate your coil from your tank and put it aside. In a bowl of warm water and mild detergent, place your tank, glass walls and other parts to soak for a minute or two. Agitate the water with your hands to loosen debris and with your hand or a colander, strain the solution and rinse thoroughly with cold or warm water. Using a microfibre towel, pat the excess water off and allow it to air dry.
How to clean your vape coil
Washing your vape’s coils won’t dramatically double the life of the coil, but it will extend it for several days, depending on how much you use it. For vape coils with a looped cotton wick:
- Allow it to soak in a bath of isopropyl alcohol, vodka or vinegar for two hours or more.
- After a sufficient period, rinse it thoroughly with water.
- Allow it to air dry completely — otherwise, the wet cotton fibres won’t entirely absorb your e-liquid when priming it.
How to clean coils for RTA and RDA tanks and atomisers
Learning how to wash your coil is a vital skill that will extend its lifespan before it requires replacing. To nail your technique, follow the steps below.
- Remove the cotton wick and throw it out.
- Dry burn the coil without letting it glow excessively — this will dry off any debris and residue.
- Once cool, remove it from your atomiser and rinse it under water.
- Using a soft-bristled brush, wick off any stubborn debris and rinse with water.
- Pat dry with a towel to remove excess moisture.
- Install it in your atty and dry burn to evaporate any lasting moisture.
- Thread and taper a new cotton wick and prime and fill your atomiser with your favourite e-liquid.